Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Insomnia

From what I understand, quite a few people in my life suffer from insomnia several nights a week. I can't even comprehend how frustrating this must be because I am not one of those people who can't sleep. I'm pretty much an out as soon as the head hits the pillow kind of girl. I've always been able to sleep whenever and wherever. I have a handful of times found myself staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night and yes it was pretty annoying, but I can't fathom having that be 2-3 times a week. I know that my own hubby is one of those non sleeping types and he hates it. Sometimes I wake up to his tossing and turning, other times not so much. Not much of anything wakes me up unless it is a baby crying in the night. That one always gets me. So why do some people suffer insomnia and others crash the moment they close their eyes? I don't understand it. I know for Kevin, he can't turn his mind off. He has a ton of stress at work and that is the cause of his sleeplessness. But I worry about things too. Maybe not things that carry quite the burden of my husband's job, but I worry about HIM, and the kids and lots of other things that concern me. But it doesn't keep me up at night. I may lay there and worry for, oh, 3 minutes and I'm OUT. I wonder if it's partly the physical nature of my "job", but then I remember that I've been this way for my whole life. That, and plenty of the people I know that experience this inability to sleep are stay at home moms too. So it's just how I am I suppose. I often find myself falling asleep at times that is annoying for me (and Kevin.) The most common time is during a movie we rent (I just get too comfortable and crash.) I can't tell you how many movies I've started and not finished because I doze off. On long drives when I am supposed to be keeping him company and my eyes just won't stay open. It's really ridiculous. I don't wish to have insomnia, but I do wish I could stay awake when I sit down on the couch and relax just a little. I wish I could stay up occasionally with Kevin when he was having a bad night and talk with him, or at least realize he was having a rough night. I think of all I could get done if I had insomnia and maybe wish I could have it, say once a week. I know it doesn't work that way though. So, I'm sorry to all of those who do have insomnia because I know, albeit not firsthand, that is is frustrating, maddening and just plain exhausting. Wishing you all a great nights sleep (not now of course!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails