Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Colonial Tea

Doesn't that sound fancy? I thought so. About three weeks ago we got a note home from school "inviting" the students to a colonial tea at the school. Also, it said they should dress up like an early colonist, and there were pictures of colonists in the north and the south. Being the total procrastinator that I am, I put the paper aside, saying "I'll look more at that later." So yesterday I saw the paper sitting there and said "Oh no, what day is it? Did I miss it?" To which Kevin, who apparently still can't read my mind, said "Huh?" I caught him up with the thoughts leading up to my outburst at which time I realized that I had not missed the day, but rather waited til the last minute and now must scrounge up some kind of costume. Have I mentioned I'm not all that crafty? The paper said the costumes could be "simple, made out of paper, or clothing that you have at your house." Super! So, I had already planned to roll up his pants legs, have him wear a white shirt and long socks. Now, I just needed a hat and a belt to make him look all pilgrim-y. Then I went for a bike ride, watched House and completely forgot about Colonial Teas. Luckily (depending on how you look at it) my children insist upon getting up before the sun, so we had plenty of time to craft a hat and a belt. So I was feeling pretty great about it and even remembered to take a picture. Then we headed off to school and saw two kids (same family) decked out in costumes that looked like royalty more than my vision of a colonist. I mean, weren't things pretty tough in the early days. The kids did look awesome and suddenly my pride in my construction paper crafted hat shrunk into, oh my goodness is he going to look silly compared to these real costumes. My panic was short lived as I saw some kids with no costume, lots with just the pants rolled up, and a few with just a pilgrim hat on (where would one find that? I could have sprung for a hat. The fact is, I'm sure that my boy will have fun at his tea just like he is. He was super excited about his costume, and that made my morning!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails