Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day is Coming

My husband asked me the other night what I wanted for Mother's Day. I did my usual "Oh, I don't know. I don't need/want anything really." And I actually meant it. I mean, I like gifts as much as the next girl, but I have issues with buying something just to buy something just because it's Mother's Day. I struggle because sometimes what I want to say is "don't buy me anything, what I really want is the day off... alone... in a quiet place." Then I don't say that because I also feel like what is Mother's Day if my kids aren't with me. I know others who do this and it is fine for them and I think it's great. But for me... too much mommy guilt involved. Truth be told, I like spending time with my guys so why the overwhelming need to get away, anyway? Well, that's a loaded question, right? I still do feel the need for time away, just not on Mother's Day.

My friend Shanna wrote an awesome blog entry about Mother's Day, and it inspired me. It might have even changed my attitude a little (we'll see if it's still changed about 5:30 when I'm trying to prepare dinner with one "helper" who only wants to do things HIS way, and forget about stirring, he wants to do the hard stuff, and then the 2 year old running around like a crazy man, and oh, the one year old pulling on my pants legs crying for reasons unidentifiable.) Yes I get frustrated, yes I need time away, but the fact remains, I love these kids. I wanted them so badly. I'm so glad they are mine. I want to convey this to them every single day. Especially Mother's Day.

2 comments:

{sue} said...

That is very sweet! Wouldn't it be great if for one day we could have all the good stuff and none of the frustration? (Too bad it doesn't work that way.)

Rebecca said...

I know...the no frustration would be nice... but I guess we learn from that stuff. When I write about being frustrated I feel like a bad mom, then I write about the nice good stuff and I feel like I come off conceited or high and mighty (I'm SO not that way!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails