Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sometimes They are So Sweet

Little boys are full of silliness and mischief and noise. They can be a handful, they are known to on occasion be obnoxious. When you have four boys, you know these things. When you have four boys, (or one, or two, or three for that matter) you know that raising boys takes energy, patience and sometimes you just have to white knuckle your way through the day. Hold on tight and ride out the chaos.

Even though all that is fundamentally true, there is another side to little boys. A side that makes it all worthwhile.


On Sunday I fell down the stairs. It wasn't too bad of a fall, just my foot slipped on the third to last step, causing my leg to buckle underneath me as I slid down the next two steps. I shouted something on the lines of "CRAP! OUCH!! THAT HURT!" Also, I was holding Ben at the time, and he was unscathed, and in fact thought the whole thing was quite amusing.

I'm a bit melodramatic about hurting myself. I have never broken a bone (except hairline fractures in my feet a few times) but I'm horrified of breaking a bone. Especially at this stage in my life because what in the WORLD am I going to do if I get hurt? How would I take care of everybody hobbling around on crutches? It's scary. So, I sat there contemplating if I was going to be able to walk or not, when 3 little boys came thundering down the stairs. And they said, "It's okay, mommy, you are okay." And they all four took turns giving me hugs and kisses. I told them they were right, that Mommy was okay.

In the end, my foot was fine, I suffered nothing more than a carpet burn on my ankle, and I gained a very full heart. My boys are sweet. They are compassionate, caring, and sympathetic. They wanted to make sure I was okay, at the same time reassuring me that I would be fine. How much more can a Mommy ask for?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails