Sunday, July 20, 2008

Do You Ever Wonder?

Do you ever, as a parent, sit there and say what if I'm WRONG? Last night I told Eric to quit snacking as it was almost dinner time. I took away the bag of cereal he was munching on and Kevin heard him say something smart back. We asked him several times to repeat and he would not tell us. We asked still more times and he mumbled something about chicken nuggets. Which I'm pretty sure is not what he actually said. Mind you, neither of us heard the precise words that came out of his mouth, but rather the tone and attitude with which it was said. Pretty sure it was something cranky toward me. Pretty sure. Not positive. Keeping in mind this is not the child who usually lies. Also keeping in mind that this is the child that rarely gets into trouble. So he was sent to his room until he would tell us the truth. He kept making stuff up but never came out with what we think he might have said.

SO he had to go to bed. Without dinner. Which I hate as a punishment because I knew he was HUNGRY and what if he can't sleep because he's hungry and ohhhhh the angst it causes me. I will tell you that by the look on his face and his demeanor and putting two and two together that I am 95% certain that he was lying. It's that little smidge of doubt that had me so ill at ease. What IF I was wrong. Will he be scarred for life? I'm pretty sure he won't because he's his happy go-lucky self today. But maybe?

I've said it before and I know I'll say it again. This parenting gig is hard. I feel often like I'm guessing my way through and hoping against hope that my children end up being good, successful adults and that I don't somehow mess them up along the way.

So, there's my insecure I don't really have a freaking clue what I'm doing confession for the day. Sigh.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails