Friday, June 6, 2008

Stalking the Pond

My hobby of sorts lately is staring at the pond. It might sound boring, but there is so much activity out there. It’s fascinating and intimidating all at once. If I hadn’t seen that alligator awhile back it would be lovely. Instead, any time I see the slightest ripple, I’m at the door staring to see what made the ripple. Oftentimes it’s these crazy diving birds. They amaze me with how long they stay under the water. Then there are the turtles. Skulking beneath the surface with only their head sticking out peering at me. Sometimes, I can’t quite tell what I am seeing. Binoculars in hand, I race outside to get a better glimpse. I haven’t seen Mr. Alligator again, which makes me think he’s not there anymore. He’s moved on to another pond. Or at least that’s what I tell myself to make me feel better. Part of me wants to see him again, just for the excitement. However, I know if I do see him it will also freak me out. I like to watch the wildlife here. It’s crazy to see what lives in my own back yard!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails