Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Day Off

Since beginning to post my to do list on this blog, I have been super productive. Things are going great! But I hit a snag this week. Monday we had Eric's award ceremony at school and then sat at my friend's house for a long while afterward. I got my daily stuff done, but none of the extra weekly stuff that really needs done. Tuesday was my class at the gym, and while I really could have done quite a bit before or after, it just didn't happen. Wednesday, daily stuff got done, but nothing off the weekly to do list. Thursday hit and I was in a funk, crabby and just plain irritated with myself and the boys. Combined with the fact that it was the first official day of having no school and I just sat there thinking about all I should have been doing and not doing it. Productive! Yesterday, I made the conscious decision to just have fun with the kids, and take a break from the list. I think it helped.

So today, I plan to get busy (right after I write about it!) and get the house picked up and try to get a few of those chores I assigned for this week done. Then I get to take Eric and Mark to a summer bowling kiddie league activity this morning.

I still struggle with the balance between getting stuff done, giving the kids the interaction and attention that they need, and not completely feeling like a nutcase in the process. The balance has to exist. I just have to find it.

I'll keep posting my to do list on my blog side bar, because it really helps. Despite this last setback, it has really helped me get things done. I mean, I can't post it online for all to see and not put that little DONE!! by at least a few things. Much more satisfying than just crossing it off a regular old to do list.

So, with no further ado, I am going to go do my dishes from last night, and then go work on that dreaded "To Do This Week" list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO there with you! I was doing so great with the list for about 2 weeks, and then have done absolutely nothing this week!! But today I am painting. Not enjoying it, but it is getting done. Finally. :) Good luck with your list. So far I have found DC to be a good motivator! I've had 2 today, and it's only 10:00.

Anonymous said...

While I was reading the first of your post my first thought was "get rid of that list!!" but if it is motivating to you then more power to you!

Finding balance....what is that?? My balance is non-processed meals 50% of the time, clean floors most of the time, family time(scriptures, prayer, FHE)-- we shoot for 100% but manage 75%, and happy kids 90% of the time. Maybe that is too much kid time but if they are happy then I get more done! I get really good at a balanced life and then we get messed up when sports start or summer begins or back-to-school, etc. Oh well...good luck finding your balance!! You are right...it is out there!

Rebecca said...

Mary Kate, I truly can not function without a list. I am just too scattered and distractable. Balance is key, I'm sure! I'll get there at some point.

And Shanna, you know I feel the same about DC. I do better with it!

Stephan & Mary said...

I'm motivated by your list. I think I might put one on my blog. Hey it would get me updating the blog more regularly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails