Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Few thoughts on Toddlers

Having a two year old in the house is tough work. They do maddening things like empty momma's wallet and stack the credit cards, library cards, Insurance ID, etc. Then when momma catches them and says "Noooooooo" they say cute little things like "Just shoppin' momma" and melt their momma's heart.

Toddlers go all out on everything. When they play they play hard, when they run they really go. They are a constant source of background noise and chatter. As I said above they can completely drive a person crazy and then with one cute comment, or a hug or any number of toddler tricks they have to stay out of trouble it all washes away and life is good.

On any given day I might think HOW am I going to do this stage again with Ben? And two minutes later finding myself thinking how cute and fun Zack is and how much I love having a toddler in the house. He climbs, he screams, and throws a good fit when he doesn't get his way. He gets in bed with me at 5 AM which in and of itself is no big deal but then he starts pulling my ears, playing with my hair and other crazy things that to him are acts of affection, but to me just plain aggravating. He tells me "you not hunny" (Zack replaces the f sound with an h), "go away momma" and "no miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine" and it drives me crazy but just a distraction away is an "I wuv you momma", or the above "just shoppin' momma" and I just laugh... or melt.

The fact of the matter is despite the typical two year old antics I love having a toddler in the house. He loves to help me clean, loves to snuggle, loves to make people laugh. I adore the endless chatter even when I complain that I want quiet.. I love it when he runs in circles giggling with his brothers. I adore the way he sings songs. I delight in his mixed up pronoun, mispronounced word language, and I love the way he just loves his momma. He makes me smile every day and I wouldn't change one thing about my little toddler.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true!! Kydon and I always joke that God made toddlers so cute so that they would survive!! I come into the kitchen and see a huge mess of water and food all over the floor, but then I look at the little boy face all round and cute and so proud of himself... it takes all the anger away! Well... most of it, anyway, LOL!

Crisa said...

Aww I love how you love your boys. Toddlers are definitely a unique combination of pure joy and frustration rolled up into one cute little package.

{sue} said...

I enjoy my two year olds more and more each time I go through this stage. I am getting tired of picking up all the stuff she dumps out everywhere though! It takes a lot of energy to mother toddlers, but it is so worth it! (As opposed to mothering preteens, but I won't spoil the surprise for you there!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails