Monday, April 27, 2009

I am SO Embarrassed!


How many times in your life have you uttered that phrase? I think, for me it must be at least a million. I have a tendency to be a klutz, say the wrong thing, walk into a school function with food a kid has smeared on my shirt (or maybe I just say the kids did it). I could go on and on.

In honor of the Silicon Valley Moms Group's April Book club book, I am about to divulge what I consider my most embarrassing moment. Warning, don't read this right now if you are about to or have just had a meal, or if you have a sensitive stomach. Or if you are drinking anything lest you spit it all over your monitor. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Sigh.

Okay, here goes.

When I was pregnant with Eric I failed my first Gestational Diabetes test. Therefore, I had to take the three hour test to determine if I needed to make any diet changes, etc. The test itself went better than I had envisioned it, and despite having to drink the orange syrupy liquid I held up pretty well.

On my way out the door I was starving and called my husband to see if he wanted me to meet him somewhere for lunch before I headed off to work. I, for still unknown reasons, thought Taco Bell sounded like a good plan. Can you see where this is going?

I took one bite of my taco and according to my husband, my face turned green. Simultaneously, my stomach became very, violently ill and I ran to the bathroom. Sadly, I did not make it quite in time, and while the worst of it got in the toilet, it also was on the floor of the restaurant, in my hair. I noticed as I tried to clean up that this bathroom had no paper towels, only a hand dryer, which was not what I needed to clean up the horrific mess I had left.

Since I was taking awhile attempting to clean myself up with toilet paper, my husband got concerned and I heard him talking outside the bathroom door. "Could I go in there and help her?" to which the Taco Bell employee replied "Are you sure she's in there?" Confused, he said "yes, she ran in there when she got sick." "Oh," said the girl who was mopping up my mess in the dining room, "well, sure you can go in there. It's the men's room."

It was at that point that I started crying uncontrollably. Throwing up all over the place wasn't bad enough, I had to run into the men's bathroom to do it. I was just so thankful no one had been in there using it.

As with most of my embarrassing moments, I can laugh about this now, but at the time it was very, most assuredly, not.funny.


This post was inspired by "Much to Your Chagrin, a Memoir of Embarrassment", by Suzanne Guillette. Suzanne shares her own embarrassing moments as well as those of others who were surprisingly ready to tell their most humiliating moments. I admire Suzanne for writing her story, and for her ability to talk to strangers and put them at ease enough to tell her what they did or said that embarrassed them the most. I took away from this book a much needed reminder that we all have these moments, and it's how we react to them that really matters. We all could use a good laugh at our own expense now and then. For more discussion of the book, and other embarrassing stories, please visit Silicon Valley Moms for today's book club!
Feel free to share your own embarrassing moments here or over at the discussion.

7 comments:

Nicole Pelton said...

Oh, quite the twist at the end there. Glad you can laugh about it now. I had to take that test too, can't even remember what I ate afterwards, but I did "fail" the test so no taco bell for me for a while.

Robyn - Who's the Boss? said...

Is it terrible of me to hope that there was a guy in there? Because that would have been like the cherry on top.

Suzanne Guillette said...

In a way, it sounds like it was good that you accidentally went into the men's room--that way, your husband could help you!

Thanks for sharing this. It's amazing when one is able to look at a particular experience in a completely new way, especially when that experience was once a source of discomfort. Great post. And thanks for reading!

ChefDruck said...

Wow - that sounds like an awful awful day. I also failed that test and just hearing you describe that orange liquid makes me nauseous. I can't believe you went into the men's room - I can imagine the smell of the urinals mixed with your vomit.

Great post!

Lisa L. said...

My most embarassing moment was passing out at my high school blood drive. And being wheeled across the gym in front of the entire senior class (and a really cute boy!) to the recovery area. Did I mention that the cause of my passing out was the finger prick they do to test your iron levels.

Jessica R. said...

Oh wow is that a terrible memory. I bet you had trouble going back to that Taco Bell after!
Great post though!

Astarte said...

Oh, dear God. I haven't been to a Taco Bell since high school, and really, now I think I never will! You poor woman!!!!

I had to drink the kool-aid, too, and that was some nasty stuff!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails