Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Groceries

Today I went grocery shopping, which should not be worth noting at all. Except for the fact that it is noteable because it's been so long since I went to the store, armed with a list and an actual menu of foods I plan to prepare. I've been winging it for awhile. Most of the stress associated with dinner preparation for me involves not knowing until 3 or 4 (or, ahem 5 or 6) what on earth I'm going to make for dinner.

So, yesterday, I made a menu, a list and today I braved the grocery store with two little boys. As much as I'd love to just get a sitter to do these things I'm frankly too cheap to spend the money. I went to my least favorite (read I can't.stand.the.place.for a zillion different reasons) store because it is known to be less expensive and I am trying to be frugal. I got almost every item on my list except for the one thing they didn't carry, and the one thing we like better at a different store.

I have supplies and food to get us through the next 9 days. Unless I forgot to put something on the list which is entirely possible.

My ultimate goal is to get a 6 week menu that I can go through and repeat. In line with that I want to create a master shopping list that goes with each week's menu so that list making is less annoying tedious. I am going to go into more detail on this if you are interested on my other blog... where I am detailing my efforts to once and for all get organized and be a better housekeeper. So far my work is paying off (which sadly coincides with the less frequent blogging of late.)

3 comments:

Astarte said...

I can't believe you were so successful with the kids along! I would love to get the six-week rotation thing going. I always seem to flunk out, though. Sigh.

Rebecca said...

I have tried and failed this many times... I'm hoping blogging it will help me pull through it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are able to do it this time. I have been menu planning for several years and it really makes a huge difference, especially in the budget!
Toni

Related Posts with Thumbnails