Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Heartbreak

Yesterday I broke Zack's heart, which in turn broke mine.

You see, I have this trip planned to go to Oklahoma to meet my brother's brand new baby girl (who is now 8 days past her expected date of arrival.) When I planned the trip I failed to check the calendar to see if it happened to coincide with any important dates. It was after Mark's birthday, so I didn't have anything to worry about.

A month later, I somehow realized that I wouldn't be home on Mother's Day. I experienced much agonizing Mommy Guilt over that and then comforted myself that I would get to see my mother on Mother's Day which hasn't happened in 6 years. So there was that and I made my peace with not seeing my own children on Mother's Day. I do see them every other day.

So all was well, and my excitement built to go on this three day trip all by myself. To say I'm thankful to my husband for taking off work on Friday so I could pull it off is an understatement. All was well, that is, until I picked up Zack from school yesterday and he handed me a paper detailing "Muffins With Mom" a lovely Mothers Day activity planned for Friday May 7. The day on which I leave insanely early in the morning to go meet my baby niece. Upon my telling him that I wouldn't be able to attend, his blue eyes filled with giant tears and his whole little body shook with sobs. He just broke my heart right then and there.

Later he asked me if I could go on his field trip with him in May and I said yes. I think if he'd have asked me to buy him a pony right that minute I would have answered the same.

3 comments:

Astarte said...

Oh, NO! Oh, poor both of you!!! That must have been horrible. :( Maybe you can go into the school and volunteer the day before or something as a special thing instead?

I'm glad you'll get to see the baby, though. It sounds like it's going to be a great trip!

{sue} said...

Aww... so did Daddy go in your place?

Rebecca said...

No. I had Kevin keep him home. I couldn't bear the thought of him being sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails