Friday, July 17, 2009

Vacation Part Two

So we arrived at Granny and Poppy's house (after a brief hello visit with Kevin's family) and within seconds the boys were asking about playing on the water slide. Of course, the grandparents obliged and they had so much fun. Ben went up and down a few times, but over all he played in the pool and laughed as the boys went down. This surprised me since
Ben is not known for his cautious nature. Okay, I can't even type that with a straight face. He is a wild child for sure! We slept so good that night after playing cards until one in the morning.

Saturday morning we went to the parade with most of Kevin's family and then, breaking the traditional IHOP fiasco before the parade (I mean is every IHOP seriously, ridiculously slow?) we took all the kids (8 of them 7 and under!) to McDonalds for lunch. Who can beat an indoor playground in July in Oklahoma?

Then it was back to Granny & Poppy's house, and this is where the blogging it as it actually happens would come in really handy. It was the fourth of July... I know my mom and I went to Wal-Mart for some more stuff for dinner but the afternoon is a blur. I remember at Wal-Mart Ben was in the cart reaching for me saying "Need mommy, neeeeeeed mommy as I tried to get him to stay in the cart. Wanna guess who won? NOT mommy. I'd venture a bet there was water slide action involved! My cousin who was my flower girl in my wedding was there. Only now she's all graduated from highschool and starting college next year and she is adorable and sweet as ever! Seeing her all grown up was truly a treat and also kind of makes me feel old. Because when I got married she was 4 or 5. I have kids older than that. Okay, must stop fixating on being old...

And then the kids were in the water slide (catching a pattern here? They LOVE that thing!) and it started to cloud over and thunder and lightning. Then it rained and rained and rained. Only, that was after dinner. REWIND...

We ate dinner that my mom made of barbecued ribs (okay, actually Kevin and Daddy did that part and fantastically I might add!), baked beans, potato salad, corn bread & rolls. Everything was awesome! (Thanks mom!) THEN the boys played on the water slide and then the lightning and the thunder and boys were filled with angst because if it's raining they can't do FIREWORKS. Wahhhhhh.

Only, Oklahoma must have been chanelling Florida weather because the storm, while impressively gusty and loud, only lasted about half an hour. And then we did fireworks. My husband managed to do so without injuring himself which is a darn good thing.

A note here about the people in my parent's neighborhood. They are firework maniacs! They were going off from every direction and it was pretty awe inspiring, if a little overwhelming for me. The cutest part of the night was Ben trying to blow out the fireworks. "I bwow them out Mommy." Too fun!

Again, I slept like a rock. And so did the boys. This is about the time they started getting up at 7. 7 Central Time which is 8 on their time zone. I guess it doesn't really count after being up til 11 though. I was so excited to get to sleep that late I didn't quite know what to do with myself. Except stay in bed so that is exactly what I did!

(to be continued!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails