Thursday, December 2, 2010

Running

I never thought I'd say this, but I love to run.  Okay, so sometimes it's hard to make myself get started. Also, sometimes during my run, it is hard and I wonder why I am doing it.  But the feeling after... that runner's high they tell you about, it is amazing and it keeps me going back for more.  Awhile back I ran a little 5 k. It wasn't officially timed or anything, but my time was 39 minutes. It was cold  out and I struggled with my breathing, leading to me having to walk parts of it. 

Recently, I struggled with shin splints (ouch) and decided I needed new shoes. I went to the nice new store up the road, and got a lovely pair.  Can you love running shoes? I did, with a great big except. That exception was my toes fell asleep. So, I went back, and they kindly exchanged them for a new pair. The new pair is great, too...  and my toes don't tingle a mile in.  This is a good thing. 

Tomorrow, I will send off my entry for my first real 5k.  A local race called the Flapjack 5k.  There used to be a whole flapjack festival apparently, but now just the race.  Complete with a pancake breakfast at the end.  I'm nervous, but it will be a goal accomplished and that makes me feel good. And I hope to beat my last time.  (Incidentally, I ran the distance in 35 minutes tonight.)

There is a part of me that is waiting for the other shoe (haha) to drop and have my body refuse to cooperate, or my knees to start acting up, or my feet to hurt too much. The other part of me, wants to run further, and faster and be an actual runner. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails