Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fundraisers, fundraisers, fundraisers

Seriously, it's the first month of school and I'm up to my eyeballs in fundraisers.

My secret... I don't do it. I am a fundraising slacker. I hope not to sound like I don't support my kids schools, because I do. I love their school. But I can't stand the thought of asking our friends and family (repeatedly... times 3- someday 4)

I wrote a little more over at Deep South Moms about this topic. Do you agree? Am I horrible for feeling this way? I know I'm not alone in my feelings. But am I the minority or majority?

2 comments:

Anne said...

Hey Rebecca,
I totally agree! I hate fundraisers and the more kids you have, the more you annoy all the relatives. No one wants to be one over priced useless item, let alone 3 (3 of my 4 are in school now). I solve it this way:donations! Our PTA does fund raisers to raise money, right? What if I just cut a check of $40 per child directly to the PTA? That would help wouldn't it? Plus save me the headache of organizing 3 kids worth of fund raising! Next time call your PTA rep and ask if she would accept a small cash donation instead, my guess is that she will not tell you "no." Thanks for your great blog!

Astarte said...

OMG, I'm vp of our PTA, and I *hate* that there are so many fundraisers! The thing is, only one of them is really from us, but everyone thinks they all come from us, and really, it doesn't matter, because it's still a ton of money people are asked for. We talked about this at our last meeting, and decided that we're going to send a letter home with the kids soon saying basically that parents would be welcome to simply reply to the letter with a small check and be done. They'll probably still get materials, but they can just recycle them. The biggest part of the problem, too, is that all schools do them at essentially the same time, so it's hard to find anyone to hit up, ever! I rarely try to sell anyone anything, and just buy one or two small things myself. That's enough, I think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails