Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reasons I Hate Potty Training

Yes the time has come to potty train Zack. I think he's been ready for months awhile, but momma has NOT been ready. At all. Potty training how do I hate thee... Let me count the ways.

1. Messes on the floor.
2. Having to remember to take him to the potty.
3. Being out in public when he has to go potty.
4. Convincing him to go potty when he's saying "nonono My not WANT to!"
5. Accidents moments after sitting on the potty.
6. Watching him like a hawk for signs he needs to poop.
7. Having to have a supply of treats in the house that call my name "Rebecca, eat me, eat meeeeeee."
8. Pull ups.
9. Past experiences with potty training have been awful!
10. Messes on the floor. Yes it's repeated on purpose.

It's worth it in the end and really, he's not doing too badly. We've had a few accidents but no poop accidents (except once when we were out and in Pull ups) but I just hate potty training. However, he is almost 3 (in July) and I just know that he's ready.

I've never been really good at the sticker chart thing so we aren't doing it that way, and he's not really getting a treat every time. Mostly this is because usually he'll sit down, pee and be done. We are still having the wet undies in between, but so far I'm so laid back it's ridiculous. I've been there and done that on the stressed out version of potty training (poor Eric) and it's not the way to go! One time today he gave me a little trouble (the about My not want to followed by "no I pee in my underwear" and I said I'd give him a treat if he peed and he went RIGHT away. I complied and gave him 3 m&ms since from experience he gets mad if I try to give him only one.

So, are you wondering why I don't love Pull ups? If I so hate messes on the floor, why not use them, right? Well, the problem is I get lazy. If he's in a Pull up I am so much less likely to stalk his every movement watching for signs he needs to use the bathroom, I definitely forget to watch the clock for the time to take him. So he may as well stay in diapers forever if I try that method. Pull ups are great for when we are out and about in these early days (2 to be exact) of the process.

Zack is a trooper and doing a great job so far! I hope it continues to be easy, but am prepared for rocky roads ahead just in case. Hey, once he's trained I'll only have one in diapers! That's been awhile! And then just one more baby boy to train after him. Hmmmm what will I do then?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails